WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN LTL AND FTL SHIPPING?
What do LTL and FTL mean in the transportation industry?And which one should you choose when you’re shipping your products throughout Ontario, Canada, or the U.S.?
If you’re transporting large shipments weighing over 100 pounds then you need to start looking for a transportation and logistics company to save on shipping costs.
We’ve outlined the 2 different ground freight options available and defined which one is best for your shipping needs.
What is Less than Truckload Shipping (LTL)?
LTL is a type of ground freight transportation that combines shipments from multiple customers. Businesses choose this budget-friendly option when the consumer demand for their products is average or stable.
Less than truckload shipping is affordable for small business because you share the transportation costs with other companies, and use a third-party logistics (3PL) company. Each company takes up a portion of the truck for their goods and only pays according to the amount of product shipped and the length of travel.
LTL shipments often make several stops and unpack and re-pack goods. The shipment will take longer to reach the destination but you’ll save on shipping costs. An experienced transportation logistics company will work hard to save you money by matching your shipments with regular scheduled shipments heading to the same destination.
Logistics Ground in Asia Pacific
- Operating in all major countries and borders
- Extensive services including: linehaul, Pick Up and Delivery (PUD), home delivery, milkrun, cross-border, courier and rail
- Singapore to Shanghai cross-border service
- China to Europe railway service: Innovative service balancing speed and cost; faster than Oceanfreight, cheaper than Airfreight
- Linehaul China: 700 trucks a day, 6.25 million pallets moved yearly
Transportation across USA
- Multi-sector and multi-mode capabilities
- Working with Pan-European players and niche specialists
- Central control and network monitoring through the Control Tower
- 450,000 tons managed a year
- 40,000 shipments a year
- 200 transport partners
- In Turkey, Logistics handles over 7,700 FTL trips a month
Logistics Ground in North America
- Supports U.S. Domestic network through LTL/FTL services
- Over 70,000 scheduled linehaul segments per year
- Seven hubs and 62 stations
- 7.5 million miles a month
- 8,000 loads a month
To learn more about our ground transportation operations in North America and how we can support your business, please visit www.stylemixthemes.com.
Advantages of LTL:
- Cost effective freight transportation
- Ideal for small businesses
What is Full Truckload Shipping (FTL)?
Full truckload can mean 2 things; either you have enough products to fill a full truckload, or you have a partial load but you prefer a dedicated truck. Full truckload is often chosen when businesses have 10 pallets or more to ship, when they have high risk packages, or when time is an issue (FTL is faster).Full truckload costs more than LTL, but it will get your shipment delivered faster—At JBT, we’re proud to point out that our FTL pickup and delivery arrives on schedule 99% of the time!
Advantages of FTL:
- Best way to transport large shipments
- Ideal for high risk or delicate freight shipments
- Shipment remains in the same truck from point A to point B
- Considerably faster than LTL; great for high consumer demand
When Should I Choose FTL or LTL?
When selecting to ship a truckload or less than truckload you will, need to consider these things: the size of your shipment, your shipping budget, how fast you need it delivered, and how delicate your shipment is (is it easily damaged? Or is it temperature sensitive?) If the shipment is large, fragile, and it needs to reach a destination quickly, then FTL is the way to go.
What about the weight for your shipment? Shipments around 100 pounds to 10,000 pounds are usually shipped LTL. Shipments that exceed 10,000 often require a full truckload to ship out. Transportation companies can give you fast and accurate quotes when you have your wants, needs, and product specs defined.
You benefit from our experience in delivering effective solutions to the complex supply chains of some of the world’s biggest corporations.
You benefit from every innovation, whether it involves a simple extension to our Air and Ocean Freight products, whether it means a development in warehousing.
All of which explains why you’ll find the team of outstanding support at MasaTrucking ready to apply their passion for solutions in support of your business.